Anyway I was chatting with Samer of Freeware Genius about hosting reliability and it reminded me that I had Pingdom bookmarked to check out since they had added free account and Daniel Scocco had post on that at DailyBlogTips.
What it does
Service checks specified server in specified intervals, keeps statistics and sends notifications your way.
Checks are made with network of geographically spread probes and they back up each other in a way that network connectivity or lag in specific area is not mistaken for server failure.
In one word set of Pingdom functions and settings would be comprehensive.
- check settings are very flexible and work with anything from generic web functions (like HTTP or email) to custom ports, password-protected pages and can even search page content;
- statistics are detailed with graphs for core parameters and precise log of all checks, for failed check thorough diagnostics are provided (IP resolve, traceroute and page content);
- notifications via email and SMS and can be set to run on specific conditions only, there is also an option of regular summary reports via email;
- you can get your stats by creating public page or using provided API (apps for Windows and iPhone available).
Two things that impressed me most so far:
- SMS notification is near-instant, server had scheduled maintenance yesterday and my phone knew before my mailbox;
- I got email from support, asking if everything works well for me – that’s a first from a free service as far as I remember.
Free account limitation
Pingdom started as fully commercial service. For a freebie you get all functions but limited to single check and initial pool of 20 SMS alerts will not renew. Perfect offer for most people and those who are serious about web development would probably find service worth its price.
You also need to login at least once every 90 days to keep account alive.
One of those service that can shatter confidence in best things are free. Actually simple account is free!
I am careful about making long-term predictions but in a week of usage I am absolutely happy with this one. Highly recommended to check out.