There is only one thing more pleasurable than giving advices. That is seeing those advices taken.
Recent reader blog critique gave me lots of feedback on details that can be improved at my blog. My thanks to everyone who participated especially Rajeev Edmonds of mintBlogger and Sumesh of TechZilo who made most detailed and solid entries.
So here is long compiled list of suggestions and status of my acting on them.
- Get good logo. In progress.
- Menu is too plain. Tweaked font and increased size.
- RSS icon is easy to miss. Made bad pick with newspaper one, blended into page. Took out from bookmarks stash of 110 plus 50 RSS icons and picked one from this set for now.
- What is frog icon? Not even my problem! :) Calvin and Paul should work on Skribit brand awareness. Sorry frog, people of Rome voted you dead. See you in next life new widget.
- No email subscription box. I hate working on HTML forms. In progress.
- Put popular posts in sidebar. I have trouble with this one. Not much plugins I see and they seem outdated. Do not want to put stats load on hosting either. On hold.
- Rename sitemap page to archives to make it more recognizable. Done.
- No categories section. Covered by tag cloud, I tag posts with categories names.
- Search box is not visible. Made it more obvious, got rid of rounded corners which didn’t fit well.
- Kill Entrecard . Traffic. Every bit counts for me.
- Kill AdSense on home page. It is covering hole. :) Would be nice spot for Skribit widget.
- Increase number of posts per page. Hm, I am keeping summaries short and light. Upped to seven. Should I go for ten?
- Play bullet in sidebar lists hints at video blog. Changed to more neutral and theme-fitting squares.
- Social media profile links in sidebar. I have separate social page for that. And not really active in social media so I think it’s sidebar clutter in my case.
- Make tag cloud larger and more prominent. Changed text align to justify. Don’t really know what else to tweak.
- Create 125x125 ad section. Had one. Didn’t do me much good . Still can turn it on in any moment, code is in place.
- Add recent comments. I think sidebar clutter. Other opinions?
- Show subscriber count. Added some stats to the sidebar.
- Use smileys in comments. Don’t want to. Text smileys are hardcore.
- Create bookmark section under post. Big chunk to redo together with related posts. In progress.
- Create big three-column footer. Again, big chunk to redo. In progress.
- Add blog author highlighting in comments. My comments are now marked by vertical black line.
- No suggestion on Skribit page . I wish there were some!
- Add some colors to theme. You just killed the only green frog I had. I must recover.
So, I am more or less done with tweaks. Seems I have to completely redo area after post, footer and maybe header.
Please, tell me it looks better. Or give me back my Saturday night.