According to comment by Klemen of brumec.org made at chain reaction to post of mine lame follow-up is expected for sarcastic posts. :) Last time I ranted what makes me skip and drop tech blogs from my reading . This time I am sharing my thoughts on what makes me read them in first place.
I am techie. Not too close to a TV-comical image of high nerd standards (even if some people are fast to put that label on me). I like things that interest me and dislike things expected and forced on me with "it’s proper" reasoning.
Photo by pipeapple
Tech blogs are made by people like me and for people like me. Some of them at least. I could dig up some deep psychological passage from my memory or bookshelf… Is anyone going to argue that having that "not alone" feeling is important to humans?
Match my thoughts and I am hooked.
- Post stuff I like and I will live in your comments and spend as much time replying there as at my own blog.
- Start a project I like and I will sacrifice my weekend evenings to contribute.
- Offer me service I want and I will be first in line of beta-testers with hungry look in my eyes and willing to send ton of feedback and ideas your way.
Try to hype some corporate crap and you will get yourself fanboy army… But not me.
As I said I don’t care about "proper" life much.
- Couldn’t care less who is next president of whatever going to be (hint – it’s safe to take down voteobama banners already).
- Or economical crisis – this planet is in freaking permanent economical crisis.
- Or how is school/college/university/work life is hard.
Tech blogs don’t share a story about bad neighbor without recipe how to take your revenge with camcorder and motion detection software. I am not looking for bitching about problems, I am looking for solutions .
Photo by erix
- for software that makes something easier;
- for gadgets that will be good replacement to ones I have;
- for hobbies I might pick up;
- for books I’d want to read;
- for sites I’d want to visit;
- etc, etc, etc.
See a pattern? These are interesting and positive things. Tech is (mostly) about new ideas and progress. Not sad crap .
Way shorter list this time. And things much more important to me. What is important to you? What makes you read?