Would you like to read your most important documents in ten years from now?
Do you use programs for saving them that might disappear by then?
- Plain text doesn’t age. It is most used format of saving data and this is not going to change.
- Plain text doesn’t have a version. It always remains itself and you can’t have different incompatible texts.
- Plain text teaches you universal things. Using plain text you learn how to work with content, not with specific software.
- Plain text fits into anything. You can use text in your email, instant messenger, site, blog, wiki, word processor, program code, personal information manager. But it may be hard to go back from any of these… unless they use plain text.
- Plain text remains itself outside computer. Do you have very old book or printout? You can scan it and get text. Do you have old five inch floppy disk? You can throw it out together with useless deteriorated data on it.
You may argue and ignore these reasons… But plain text will be waiting if you ever feel like it. :)